The data curation process is governed inter alia by the HSRC Data Preservation Policy and the HSRC Data Sharing Policy. Research data are submitted by the principal investigators of SASAS to the Research Data Service for curation. The following curation activities are subsequently performed:
- Auditing of the deposited data and documents
- Checking and verification of data
- Addressing ownership and confidentiality issues
- Loading files into the HSRC's file repository
- Describing data and documents in terms of DDI (Data Documentation Initiative) and Dublin Core metadata standards respectively. A Digital Object Identifier (DOI) is assigned to each data set.
- Generating unstructured metadata which describes the data and facilitates use, i.e. a read me file, user guide and code book
- Converting files to preservation and dissemination formats and storing these files appropriately
- The data ismade available for re-use. Data sharing is subject to an End User License agreement. Access to data is managed through an on-line automated process. Users are requested to register and provide a reason for wanting to use the data. Access is subsequently provided.